Robyn Anetrice Christian, Founder& CEO
Robyn has had an extensive background in providing services to the Community, from working for Baltimore City Child Support Enforcement to Virginia Beach Law Enforcement. Robyn's career took a rewarding turn when she began to work with Hearts & Homes, Mother and Baby Program as a Foster Parent.
1. In 1990, Robyn gave birth to a beautiful and intelligent daughter. With the support of her "Village," she began her career as Child Support Enforcement Specialist.
2. In 1993, Robyn married and gave birth to a vibrant and curious son. Years after being married, she became a single parent of two. Luckily, she still had the support of her “Village,” to push and encourage her.
3. In 1998, Robyn started the career that she always wanted, Law Enforcement Officer. Seven years as a law enforcement officer included being a Correctional Officer at Virginia Beach City Jail.
4. In 2010, Robyn started a new adventure that changed her life. She became a foster parent. When she started with Hearts & Homes, a Mother, and Baby Program, it was to nurture and direct young mothers on a better path. What Robyn didn’t realize, is the impact that it would make in her life. It made her take a closer look at herself.
Robyn and the young ladies talked about everything, from their childhoods to sexual and emotional abuse. Even though Robyn had the privilege of being raised by both parents, counseling was the “Key to Success” for her. Robyn has fostered girls from all walks of life, but all of their results were the same, raising a child without the support of a “Village.”
Over the years of living with and fighting for the young ladies, it became apparent to her that there is a foundational problem that the system is lacking. There were numerous girls that aged out of this program and ended up in shelters with their babies and their belongings. Some of these girls had opportunities to continue their education but were unable to because they didn’t have the basics for themselves and their babies, are safe housing and food.
As my biological children continued to grow and flourish, my daughter received an Athletic Scholarship for Basketball, which introduced me to another issue facing young women. When she went off to college, there was another requirement for the scholarship that she had to meet.
There was a form the female athletes had to sign, that in layman's terms state that if she got pregnant, she forfeited her scholarship. My daughter lost some outstanding team mates to this technicality, and to this day they still haven’t been able to return to college to complete their degree, because they don’t have the support of a “Village.”
It’s unfair to punish the female for getting pregnant when she didn’t get pregnant by herself. Most of the time, they get pregnant by a male on the boy's team for the same sport. These young men can stay on campus and continue their education without any consequences, while the female has to leave the dormitory because her pregnancy has become a liability to the school.
Having these experiences, I believe that God has groomed me to take on this project. I also believe that God has guided my footsteps in my personal and professional life to ensuring that I am mental, physically and psychologically prepared to successfully meet and soar with the support of my “Village.” Anetrice House, Inc will be the “Village” for all of these young women.
To further prepare young mothers for independent living, each occupant must complete 25 weeks of parenting and life skills classes. During the classes, the parents will receive training in parenting,
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMITTANCE
1. MUST POSSESS A GED OR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA.
2. MUST BE EMPLOYED, ENROLLED IN TRADE SCHOOL OR COLLEGE.
3. MUST BE WILLING TO MEET WITH A COUNSELOR TO HEAL INSIDE OUT.
4. CAN ONLY HAVE ONE CHILD OR BE PREGNANT.
5. MUST HAVE DAYCARE VOUCHERS THROUGH THE STATE OF MARYLAND.
6. MUST BE WILLING TO ATTEND THE WRAPAROUND COURSES PROVIDED BY THE PROGRAM, STAY EMPLOYED & STAY ACTIVELY ATTENDING THEIR COURSES FOR THEIR EDUCATION.
7. MUST BE WILLING TO WORK WITH A LIFE COACH
8. MUST BE WILLING TO COMPLETE A BACKGROUND CHECK
Federal Tax Exempt ID# 47-2508603
The mission of Anetrice House, Inc. (AH) is to provide a Safe and Loving Home for young women, 18-25 years of age, who are faced with homelessness, aged out of the Foster Care/ Department of Juvenile Service system, or have been forced off of college campuses due to entering their 2nd trimester of pregnancy. They will have the opportunity to learn to love, respect themselves and their children while earning their college degrees/ certifications, and employment while becoming a self-sufficient, productive member of the community.
The program focuses on four key services:
Anetrice House, Inc. is a program designed to offer mothers' with babies the Community Support and the "Village" necessary to be successful in life! Anetrice House, Inc. has an added component to assist female athletes the support needed to keep their scholarships while finishing their degree and successfully raising their child(ren).